An Australian made, owned and restored Holden Monaro GTS made history today by winning the Australian International Concours d’Elegance at the 2016 Motorclassica in Melbourne.
It is the first time that an Australian-made car has won a globally-recognised Concours d’Elegance event, and the first locally manufactured winner in the seven year history of the Motorclassica event.
Owned by Victorian Terry Smart, the fabulous 1969 Holden Monaro GTS won Motorclassica’s ‘Best of Show’ accolade to win the premier Australian International Concours d’Elegance title, along with the ‘Restoration of the Year’ trophy for its restorers, Recreation Automotive.
Other winners at Motorclassica 2016 reflected the global nature of Concours competition.
- VINTAGE & VETERAN - 1923 Rolls Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost, Richard Knight
- PRE-WAR CLASSIC UK & EURO - 1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II, Ken King
- PRE-WAR CLASSIC USA - 1936 Auburn 852, Paul Capel
- POST-WAR CLASSIC CLOSED - 1956 Alfa Romeo 1900 C Super Sprint, Tony Coates
- POST-WAR CLASSIC OPEN - 1959 Mercedes Benz 190SL, Sam Sofi
- MODERN CLASSIC UK & EURO - 1961 Volkswagen Micro Bus Deluxe 23 Window, Theo Dimopoulos
- MODERN CLASSIC AUST/USA/JAPAN - 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Joe Caruana
- MODERN CLASSIC SP & PERFORMANCE UNDER 3 LITRE - 1971 Dino 246, Geoffrey Corah
- MODERN CLASSIC SP & PERFORMANCE OVER 3 LITRE - Ferrari 512BB, Phillip Allen
- PRESERVATION CLASS - 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25, Phillip Hilliard
- MOTORCYCLES PRE-WAR - 1938 Indian Chief, Matt Willis
- MOTORCYCLES POST WAR - 1965 BSA Lightning Clubman, Jon Munn
- SPIRIT OF MOTORCLASSICA - 1931 Delage D8S De Villars, Phillip Schudmak
- PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD - 1961 Volkswagen 23 Window Micro Bus, Theo Dimopoulos
Motorclassica this year celebrated a number of automotive milestones, with special Concours classes awarded to reflect those.
- 130 YEARS OF MERCEDES-BENZ - 1955 Gullwing, Lindsay Fox
- 110 YEARS OF ROLLS-ROYCE - 1923 40/50 Silver Ghost, Richard Knight
- 100 YEARS OF BMW - 1997 840Ci M-tech, Robert Pavlov
- 90 YEARS OF TOURING SUPERLEGGRA - 1956 Alfa Romeo 1900 C Super Sprint, Tony Coates
- 90 YEARS OF DUCATI - 1968 350/250 Desmo Twin, Paul Cowan
“This year’s Motorclassica has certainly unveiled a diverse list of worthy winners which speaks to the depth of Australia’s historic motoring community. Each year is a genuine surprise and we already look forward to what 2017 will hold,” Paul Mathers said.